Turisztika

MAKÓI SÉTA

 

Polgármesteri köszöntő


Kedves Vendégeink!

Szeretettel ajánlom figyelmükbe kiadványunkat, melyet most a kezükben tartanak. Őszintén remélem, hogy segítségével képet kapnak városunkról, a Maros völgyének egyik legjelentősebb településéről, Makóról. Kis füzetünk segítségével bepillanthatnak Makó történetébe, megismerhetik legfontosabb nevezetességeit, érdekes és hasznos programokat tudnak összeállítani, és ezáltal otthon érezhetik magukat nálunk. Kezükbe fogván ismertetőnket induljanak bátran fölfedező sétára, vagy keressék föl a Marost, a nekünk oly sok örömöt és nem egyszer veszélyt is szerző, de mégis gyönyörű folyót. Nem fognak csalódni. Ha megismerik a települést és az itt élő embereket, hiszem, visszavágynak hozzánk és mi mindig örömmel, barátként várjuk Önöket. Itt szeretném megköszönni városunk díszpolgárának, dr. Tóth Ferencnek, hogy a kiadvány elkészítéséhez használt szöveget rendelkezésünkre bocsátotta. Kellemes ittlétet kívánunk! Vigyék városunk jó hírét és szeretteikkel, barátaikkal jöjjenek vissza hozzánk!

Greetings from the Mayor

Dear Visitors!

I would like to recommend our latest brochure you are now holding in your hands. I sincerely hope that you will get a picture of our town, one of the most remarkable settlement in the valley of River Maros. With the help of our booklet you can glance into Makó’s history, meet the most important sights, organize interesting and useful programmes allowing you to feel like home. Holding this guidebook, start your discovering walk or visit the bank of Maros which has brought so much joy – and sometimes danger as well – to our town. Nevertheless the River Maros is really spectacular and wonderful. You will not be disappointed. If you get to know the settlement and its citizens, I believe you would wish to come back to us and we will always welcome and wait for you as a friend. I would like to thank professor Ferenc Tóth – honorary citizen of Makó – for the material we have used in order to publish this brochure. Enjoy your stay here in Makó! Spread our town’s good reputation and visit us again with your friends and beloved ones!

Makó története


Makó első virágzása a 13. század második felére esett, amikor a Csanád nemzetséghez tartozó Makó bán lett a település földesura. A középkorban ezen a tájon sok kis falu terült el egymás közelében, ezeknek egybeolvadásával a 14–15. század fordulójára indult el Makó a városias fejlődés útján. A 15. században a környék piaci központja lett. A várost első ízben 1552-ben tatár hordák égették fel, de ezt a pusztítást a település hamar kiheverte. A második nagy katasztrófa 1596-ban következett be, amikor a temesvári basa tatárjai felégették a templomot, a paplakot, a városházát, a levéltárat, sőt megsemmisült a város pecsétje is. A sok viszontagságot átélt Maros-parti város a legtragikusabb eseménye a Szeged alól 1686-ban visszavonuló török-tatár hordák pusztítása volt. Különös kegyetlenséggel égették fel a várost, űzték el a védtelen lakosságot. Egy francia térképész 1695-ben ezt írta „Makó nincs többé, lakatlan, csak este látni itt-ott pásztortüzet”. A mai Makó kialakulása az újratelepüléssel kezdődött 1699-ben.

The History of Makó

The first development of the town took place in the second half of the 13th century when a member of the Csanad family was the landlord of the territory where Makó lies today. During this period a lot of small villages have come closer to this area. In the 14th-15th century Makó came to life after the fusion of these small, populated areas and the newly formed location went through many development stages. In the 15th century Makó became the trade center of agricultural products in this part of Hungary. In the year 1552 Makó was burned down by the Tatar armies, but the town rose from its own ashes after a short time. The second destruction of the town took place in 1596 when the leader of the Tatar people from Temesvár and his army set fire to the town and destroyed the church, the parish house, the town hall, the archives furthermore the seal of the town has been destroyed as well. If we think of all the negative experiences of this town, we must mention the most tragic one that happened in 1686 when the Tatar-Turkish armies from the areas of Szeged devastated everything behind them. They burned down the entire town without any compassion and they banished the local, defenseless people. In 1695 a French cartographer wrote about Makó that it did not exist anymore, it was unpopulated and there could only be seen a few shepherd’s campfires after nightfall. The forming operation of nowadays’ Makó has started in 1699.

Makovecz tér, Hagymatikum Gyógyfürdő, Zenepavilon


Indulásunk helyszíne a Makovecz téren található Hagymatikum Gyógyfürdő. Nem csak a fürdőt, hanem a teret is a művész álmodta meg. A fürdő kútját 1956-ban fúrták, akkori hőfoka 91 Celsius fok volt. Az országos Közegészségügyi Intézet vizsgálata szerint igen sok szerves anyagot és oldott sót tartalmazó alkáli-hidrogénkarbonátos hévíz, amelynek fluoridion és metakovasav tartalma is jelentős. A makói termálvizet az Egészségügyi Minisztérium 1988-ban gyógyvízzé nyilvánította. A nevében és megjelenésében egyaránt megújult Makói Hagymatikum Gyógyfürdő nem csak a minőségi élményfürdők számát gyarapítja, de tovább emeli fürdőkultúránk színvonalát is. A magyar organikus építészet zászlóvivője, a Kossuth-díjas Makovecz Imre által tervezett fürdő már látványvilágában is minőséget képvisel. Gyógyvizünk kedvező hatást gyakorol az ízületi, reumás, illetve más egyéb panaszokra is. A fürdő főbejárata mellett található a szintén Makovecz által tervezett Zenepavilon, amely a zene kedvelőinek épült, hiszen a nyár minden hétvégéjén koncerttel várják a kedves vendégeket. Lekerekített formájával, kiváló akusztikájával fergeteges élményt nyújt az idelátogatóknak.

Makovecz Square, Hagymatikum Spa, Bandstand

We start our walk in Makovecz square, where the “Hagymatikum” Thermal Bath can be found. The first fountain which was dug in 1956 had 91 degree Celsius water temperature. According to National Institution of Public Health, the water of the spa is an alkaline, carbohydrated water and it contains a lot of organic substances, salt and fluorine. In 1988 this thermal water had become a classified medical water by the Ministry of Social Affairs and Health. Ever since the old swimming pool has developed rapidly and has become an important spa center in this part of Hungary, offering high quality services. Nowadays “Hagymatikum” Thermal Bath has been reconstructed according to Imre Makovecz’s plans who was a famous Hungarian architect, the partisan of organic architecture, and he was also rewarded with Kossuth Prize. The water of “Hagymatikum” Thermal Bath can be successfully applied in the treatment of patients with joints and rheumatic problems. Next to the entrance of the spa you can find the bandstand also planned by Makovecz. It was built for the music lovers, as during the summer concerts await for the guests on every weekend. With its rounded shape and excellent acoustics it provides fantastic experience for visitors.

Széchenyi tér, Bérpalota, régi városháza


A fürdő bejáratától a 43-as főút irányába indulva érkezünk meg a város főterére, a Széchenyi térre, amely a Szeged, Arad, Hódmezővásárhely felől érkező utak találkozásánál jött létre. A férfiak a 19. század végén vasárnaponként fekete ünneplő ruhában gyűltek össze, és szeszes ital fogyasztása nélkül beszélték meg az ország sorsát és a maguk gondját is. Valamikor politikai nagygyűlések színtere is volt, a legjelentősebb azonban mégis az, hogy a heti háromszori piacnak, illetve az évi öt alkalommal megrendezett kirakodó vásárnak adott helyet. Bal kéz felé tekintve a Bérpalotát csodálhatjuk meg. A városi bérpalota 1927-ben épült neobarokk stílusban, a bérház a város mai napig legreprezentatívabb lakóháza. Párkánya alatt van Európa második legnagyobb molnárfecske kolóniája. Jobbra található a főtér nyugati felét lezáró régi városháza, amely Koczka Ferdinánd szolnoki építőmester tervei szerint épült 1854–59-ben. Korának romantikus stílusirányzata különösen jól érvényesül az épület homlokzatán.

Széchenyi Square, Bérpalota, old Town Hall

As we set off from the entrance of the spa towards the road 43 we arrive to the main square of the town called Széchenyi square where three main roads meet: the ones come from Szeged, Arad (Romania) and Hódmezővásárhely. During the 19th century, men were wearing elegant black clothes and they used to gather in this square and while they were drinking non-alcoholic beverages they were discussing both about country matters and personal problems. A long time ago, this was the location where important political meetings took place, but besides these, there were also markets held three times a week by the local agricultural producers and five times a year by the craftsmen. On the left of the narrow street we can admire the Bérpalota. It was built in neo-baroque style in 1927 and it’s the most representative mansion of the town. Around this building, under the ledge you can see Europe’s second largest swallow colony. On the right, the east part of the square ends with the old Town Hall that was built in romantic style between 1854-1859, according to architect Ferdinand Koczka’s plans who was originally from Szolnok.

Hagymaszobor, Bartók Székhelyintézmény


A régi városháza előtt elhaladva, a 43-as utat követve Szeged felé érünk el a Szent János tér és Kálvin utca körforgalmához. Egy kis zöld téren található a város szoboremblémája, a Hagymaszobor, amely Sütő Ferenc alkotása. A zebrán átkelve térjünk át a Kálvin utcára. Pontosan szemközt találjuk az egykori polgári leányiskola emeletes épületét, amely ma Bartók Béla művészeti általános iskolaként működik. Az iskola előtt áll a Varga Imre alkotta Bartók Béla szobor. A Kálvin utcán továbbhaladva jutunk el a református ó-templomhoz. Bejelentkezni a +36 62/211-495- ös telefonszámon lehet. A város újjátelepülése óta ez a terület a református városrész centruma. A templom 1774-ben barokk stílusban épült. 1790–1927-ig téglakerítés vette körül, négy sarkán bástyával. A templom mellett 1820-ban klasszicista stílusban épült, a műemlékként számon tartott református nagy iskola. Mellette 1927-ben épült az egykori polgári fiúiskola.

Onion Monument, Bartók School

If you walk along the old Town Hall following the road 43 towards Szeged you can reach the roundabout at Szent János square and Kálvin street. There is a small lawn where the Onion Monument stands which was made by Ferenc Sütő. Let’s use the pedestrian crossing towards Kálvin street. Right ahead stands the old Calvinist Girls School, today known as “Béla Bartók” Elementary School of Arts. There is Imre Varga’s statue of Béla Bartók in front of the school. Strolling along Kálvin street we reach the ancient Calvinist Church, built in 1774. For check in, please call the following phone number: +36 62/211-495. Since the resettlement of the town, this area was the center of the Calvinist district of the town. From 1790 to 1927 the church was surrounded by a brick wall with bastions at its four corners. In 1820, a school was built, in classical style, near the church that remained a monument. There is a Calvinist Boys School next to it, nowadays known as the Kálvin Square School.

Postapalota, Hagymaház, Múzsák kútja


Utunk a Hunyadi utcán keresztül a Posta utcára vezet Makó ősi városrészébe, a reformátusok lakta – régi nevén – Szentlőrincre. A Posta utcát 1924-ben nyitották, itt épült fel négy évvel később a díszes oromzatú, neobarokk stílusú Postapalota. Jobboldalon áll a Makovecz Imre által tervezett Hagymaház, amely a kulturális élet központja. 390 ülőhellyel, színpaddal, a hozzá csatlakozó aulával, pódium-teremmel, kávéházzal rendelkezik. Ezen kívül a nyári hónapokban kültéri színpaddal is bővül, így a szervezők júniustól augusztusig szabadtéri előadásokat is rendezhetnek benne. Belül a magyar ősvallás kultikus helye, ahogyan népmeséinkben és a pogány magyar néphitben az égig érő fa tartja az égboltot, úgy itt is az elágazó fabordákra nehezedik a terem boltozata. Kívül már a keresztény kultúrkör templomaként jelenik meg, sőt egyenesen a makói református ótemplom szellemisége éled újjá fehér falaival, tornyával, egykori kerítésének négy bástyájával. A Hagymaház aulájában állították fel a Surányi Imre által készített, Páger Antal Kossuth-díjas, makói születésű színművész portré szobrát. Szemben a téren található Fritz Mihály alkotása, a Múzsák kútja, valamint a bazaltkövekkel határolt medence, melyet Jelencse Julianna tervezett Makovecz Imre irányítása mellett. A szobor egy oszlopon ülő női alakot ábrázol, mely az est beköszöntével díszkivilágítást kap. A művet 2000 júliusában adták át.

Post-Office, Onion House, Well of Muses

Journey through Hunyadi street to Posta (Post) which brings you to the ancient town district of Makó, or Szentlőrinc as it used to be known, where people of the Calvinist religion lived. Posta (Post) street was opened in 1924. Four years later the Post-Office, with its decorated pediment, was built here in neo-baroque style. On the right stands The “Hagymahaz” (Onion House) Cultural House, which was designed also by Imre Makovecz, stands on the left. The auditorium contains 390 seats inside and in the open-air with a possibility of 3000 seats, a double usage stage (inside and outside), a podium hall, a café and offices. Furthermore during the summer it can be extended by an outside stage so from June to August various plays are organized here as well. Just as in the Hungarian folk stories, the sky is supported by a massive tree, here the ceiling of the hall is also supported by a branching wooden column. It appears as a church of the Christian cultural community and furthermore the spirituality of an ancient Calvinist church of Makó appears again restored to life by its white walls, the tower and the four bastions. The bust of Antal Páger, unveiled in the hall in 1999, was created by Imre Surányi. On the opposite side of the square stands the Well of Muses made by the sculptor Mihály Fritz and the basin bounded by basalt stones which was planned by Julianna Jelencse and Imre Makovecz. The statue depicts a female figure sitting on a pole which gets a floodlight as the evening approaches. The presentation of the well was held in July 2000.

Makói Takarékpénztár, Városháza


Visszatérve a főtérre, a hagymavirág szökőkúttal szemben a csipkeházak előtt elhaladva juthatunk el a városházához. Jobbra a sarkon áll az egykori Makói Takarékpénztár székháza, amely a makói historizmus legszebb világi épülete. 1918-ban a Hunyadi utcai földszinti helyiségeket mozivá, kabarészínházzá építették át. Elegáns belső terét a mozi 1970-es megszűnése után olvasótalálkozók, és különböző kulturális rendezvények helyszíneként használta a város lakossága. Az épület földszintjén sokáig üzemelt a főtér két cukrászdája közül az egyik. A városháza előtti téren áll Kossuth Lajos szobra, amelyet Kallós Ede vásárhelyi szobrász készített. A szobrot 1905. szeptember 24-én avatták fel. Érdekessége, hogy a városban nagy volt a Kossuth kultusz, így teljes egészében közadakozásból készülhetett el. Érdemes megnézni a városházát (Széchenyi tér 22.), amely eredetileg Csanád vármegye székháza volt. A város monumentális középülete 1780-ban Vertics József földmérő tervei alapján épült barokk stílusban. 1839-ben Giba Antal tervei alapján klasszicista stílusban építették át mai formájára. A város közéletének fontos színtere volt az épület. A nemzet csalogánya, Hollósy Kornélia 1879-től Lonovics József főispán hitveseként a ház lakója volt.

Old Savings Bank, Town Hall

Now we should return to the center of Makó and follow the pavement to the town hall. On our right at the corner the most attractive historical building of Makó can be seen which was the old Savings Bank of the town. In 1918, the ground floor rooms on Hunyadi street were rebuilt into a cinema and cabaret theater. After the closure of the cinema in 1970 its elegant interior was used for reading meetings and a venue for various cultural events by the population of the town. On the ground floor operated one of Makó’s two patisserie for a long time. There is Lajos Kossuth’s Statue in the front park, made by sculptor Ede Kallós originally from Hódmezővásárhely and it was inaugurated on 24th September 1905. This statue was able to be erected from the donations of the citizens of Makó thanks to their esteem and respect for this honorable historical individual. It’s worth visiting the Town Hall (Széchenyi square no. 22.) that originally was the seat of Csanád County. This monumental building was constructed in 1780 in baroque style according to József Verdics’ plans and it was rebuilt in 1839 based on Antal Giba’s plans in classical style. The building has been housing many events along the years and since 1879 it has been the residence of many important people from Makó starting with Kornélia Hollósy and with József Lonovics, the prefect of the town.

Térkép, Map


Múzeum, skanzen


A Városházától tovább sétálva a Megyeház utcán eljutunk a József Attila Múzeumhoz (+36 62/213- 540). A múzeum keddtől-vasárnapig 10:00-17:00 óra között tart nyitva. A monoton homlokzatot Varga Imre épületplasztikája töri meg, a református ó-temető egykori kopjafái kaptak itt új tartalmat. A népélet tárgyait humanizálva az emberi munkát – a hagymakertész robotos életét – is érzékelteti. Munkába indulás (talicskakerék), a munkavégzés (vízimalom meghajtó gerendelye), a termelés betakarítása (szüretelősajtár), a dolgos nap vége (lebukó nap, feljövő hold). Maguk a kopjafák pedig az idő múlását is érzékeltetik. Az egyiken felvésve olvashatjuk: rövid az élet. Megtekinthető itt a 2008-ban nyílt állandó kiállítás „Küzdelmes évszázadok” címmel, Makó város története az újjátelepüléstől a rendszerváltásig 1699–1989, valamint ugyancsak állandó kiállítás emlékezik meg Galamb Józsefre egy eredeti FORD T-modell autó bemutatásával, illetve az épület számos vándorkiállításnak is helyet ad. A múzeumhoz tartozik a skanzen. Itt megtekinthető a makói hagymás ház, eredeti berendezéssel. Ezenkívül megtalálható itt még egy asztalosműhely, eredeti szerszámokkal és mintakönyvekkel a 20. század elejéről, valamint az apátfalvi konyha, lakószoba, egy kovács-bognárműhely ugyancsak eredeti szerszámokkal a 20. sz. elejéről és szánkótalpas gabonakasok és hombárok a 20.sz. elejéről.

Museum, Skanzen

If you walk forward near the Town Hall on Megyeház street, you can reach to “Attila József ” Museum (+36 62/213-540). The museum is open from Tuesday through Sunday between 10:00 – 17:00. The monotonicity of the façade is broken by the sculptural work of Imre Varga and the funeral wooden columns received a new interpretation here. This masterpiece draws attention not only on the ethnographic features of the museum, but also symbolizes the importance of man’s agricultural work: the hard work of an onion producer, setting off for a daily work, represented by the wheel of a wheelbarrow, the daily work – by driving rod of a water mill, harvesting – by the vessel for collecting grapes, the end of the hard day – by setting sun and rising moon. The memorial columns represents the passing of time. One column has the following inscription engraved on it: life is short. In 2008 a new permanent exhibition, called ”Difficult Centuries”, was opened for the public on the top floor. Here you can discover the history of Makó beginning with the repopulation in 1699 and finishing with the fall off the communist policy in 1989. You can also see here an original model of Ford T car model, created by József Galamb, furthermore temporary exhibitions can also be seen inside the building. In the yard of the museum you can admire a traditional ancient house from this part of the country with all its original equipments, the smith’s and cartwrighter’s workshops, all kind of tools characteristic for provincial towns of the early 20th century, a barn and other ancient machineries for harvesting dating back to that century.

Espersit-ház, Víztorony, makói piac


A múzeumhoz közel található az Espersit-ház, az irodalmi múzeum. Az 1898-ban, eklektikus stílusban épült ház Espersit János ügyvéd révén a város, sőt a vidék legnevezetesebb művészi központja volt. A kiállítás bemutatja a József Attilát támogató, 48-as szemléletű baráti kört. Juhász Gyula és Móra Ferenc makói kötődését, valamint József Attila költői indulását. Mindhárom kiállítás a múzeumban megváltott jeggyel tekinthető meg. Utunkat a Hajnal utcán folytatjuk egészen a Deák Ferenc utcáig. A kereszteződésnél jobbra tekintve láthatjuk Makó város víztornyát, amelynek tetején éjszakára kék fénnyel ellátott díszkivilágítást helyeztek el. A víztorony színére szavazást írtak ki, a város polgárai a jelenlegi kék megvilágítás mellett döntöttek. További érdekesség, hogy állami ünnepeinken a lámpatestek nemzeti színben pompáznak. A Deák Ferenc utcán a főtér felé haladva bal kéz felé találhatjuk a makói piacot, amely minden szerda, péntek és vasárnap délelőtt kiszolgálja a helyieket és a turistákat egyaránt. Az úton tovább haladva jobbra láthatunk egy aszfalttal borított területet, amelyen a tavaszi, nyári, valamint az őszi hónapokban a fiatalok számára különféle sporteszközöket helyeznek el. A hideg közeledtével decembertől februárig pedig fedett jégkorcsolyapályaként hasznosítja a város.

The Espersit House, Water Tower, Marketplace

The Espersit House is near the museum which is a place for literature exhibitions organized by the museum. This house, built in 1898 in eclectic style, received the name of Makó’s well-known lawyer János Espersit. The exhibition presents the circle of friends supporting Attila József and adhering to views related to the events of 1848, Gyula Juhász’s and Ferenc Móra’s ties with Makó and also the beginning of Attila József ’s career as a poet. All three exhibitions can be visited by the ticket bought at the museum. Continue our trip along to Deák Ferenc street. Just east of the intersection you can take a look at the town’s water tower. High atop the tower a blue light is placed which can be seen at night. There has been a vote among the townsfolk to decide the color and the blue one was chosen. Another interesting fact is that during Hungarian National Holidays the lights coming from the tower are red, white and green just as our national flag. Moving along on Deák Ferenc street towards the main square we can find the marketplace of Makó on the left hand side. It is open to serve the locals and tourists alike on every Wednesday, Friday and Sunday morning. Further down the road to the right you can see an asphalt-covered area in which a variety of sporting tools for young people are placed in Spring, Summer and Autumn. As the cold weather approaches, from December to February an ice skaint rink can be found here.

Ortodox zsinagóga, buszpályaudvar, sportcsarnok


A hangulatos kis úton érkezünk meg az ortodox Zsinagógához. A létesítmény a város egyik páratlan értékű és szépségű épülete, egyúttal Magyarország második legnagyobb ortodox zsinagógája. Az egyhajós zsinagóga 1895-ben épült fel romantikus stílusban az 1872-ben önállósult ortodox közösség által. Harmonikusan illeszkedik a mellette lévő lakóházhoz, amelyet a Giba-féle térkép 1824-ben zsidóházként tüntet fel. Eleinte imaházként, tűzelőtárolóként, gondnoki lakásként használták. Az ortodox zsinagóga felépülése után téli imateremmé alakult át. Amennyiben belülről is meg kívánja tekinteni a következő telefonszámon lehet érdeklődni: +36 30/389-06-13. A zsinagógával átellenben található a makói buszpályaudvar egy organikus stílusban épült, Makovecz Imre által alkotott épület. Hajlított, íves formáival, fa szerkezetével szerves egységet alkot környezetével. Érdekessége, hogy a tetőszerkezetet tartó monolit tömböket nem szállították, hanem a helyszínen öntötték ki és állították fel. A pályaudvart elhagyva jobb oldalon láthatjuk az ugyancsak Makovecz Imre által tervezett Erdei János Sportcsarnokot, amely a szomszédos gimnázium átépítésével egy időben épült 2000-ben. Nevét Erdei János makói ökölvívó olimpikonról kapta. Különböző városi rendezvényeknek, sporteseményeknek, továbbá szalagavató báloknak ad helyet.

Orthodox Synagogue, Bus Station, Sports Center

Through a cozy, little road we arrive at the Orthodox Synagogue. The facility is one of the most beautiful and valuable buildings in the town, while also being Hungary’s second largest one. It was built in 1895 in romantic style by the the independent Orthodox community. The synagogue fits the residential building next to it, which was stated as a Jewish house in 1824. At first it was used as a bethesda, a firewood container and as the janitor’s apartment. After the construction of the Orthodox synagogue it was transformed into a bethesda used in winter. If you would like to see the inside as well please call the following telephone number: +36 30 /389-06-13. Walking further on you reach the Bus Station of the town, another masterpiece of Imre Makovecz, constructed in the same fantastic organic style. With its bent, curved forms and tree structure it forms an integral unit with its environment. Interestingly enough, the monolithic pillars holding the roof were not delivered here but instead were shaped and placed to their current location on the site. Leaving the bus station on the right we can notice yet another interesting building by Imre Makovecz: the Sports Center which was built at the same time as the adjacent High School’s reconstruction in 2000. It was named after János Erdei who was an olympic boxer from Makó. Various events, sporting activities and proms are held here.

József Attila Gimnázium, Csanád vezér tér


A Csanád vezér téren továbbhaladva a József Attila Gimnáziumhoz érkezünk, amely 1895-ben épült, tanulója volt három évig József Attila, valamint itt tanított Juhász Gyula, az épület falán tábla őrzi emléküket. Az iskola előtt áll József Attila szobra, melyet a költő halálának 20. évfordulójára készített Munkácsy- díjas művész Tar István 1957-ben. Az épület melletti aszfaltba öntött József Attila utcatáblát szokatlan módon helyezték el. Az ifjú költő első verseskötetének, a Szépség koldusának borítóját ércbe öntve a járda aszfaltjába építették be. A gimnázium előtti téren található a második világháborús emlékmű, amelyet Kiss Jenő Ferenc szobrász készített. Főalakja a keresztre támaszkodó katona. Az íves falon tüntették fel a második világháború makói hősi halottjainak és a polgári lakosság áldozatainak névsorát. Mögötte állítottak fel az ’56-os forradalom emlékére a kopjafákat. A Csanád vezér teret két, kétsávos út alkotja, amelyek egyirányúak, közöttük park helyezkedik el. Makón már csak ennek a térnek a neve emlékeztet az ősi megyére. Pedig Szent Gellért legendájában az Ajtonyt legyőző Csanád vezérnek Szent István meghagyta, hogy ő legyen annak a vármegyének ispánja, és azt minden időkig nevezzék Csanád vármegyének. A zöld övezetben áll államalapító Szent István király monumentális lovas szobra, amely Kiss Jenő Ferenc és Győrfi Lajos alkotása. A fában gazdag tér kedvelt fészkelő- és költőhelye az erdei fülesbaglyoknak.

József Attila Grammar School, Csanád vezér square

Walking further on we get to Attila József Highschool, built in 1895. The poet himself has studied here for three years and Gyula Juhász, poem writer has taught in this institution as well. In front of the school stands the statue of Attila József. It was made for the 20th anniversary of the poet’s death by Munkácsy Award winning artist István Tar in 1957. An outstanding “memorial plaque” was built in the asphalt of the sidewalk near the highschool in the memory of the poet Attila József, precisely the cover of his first volume of poems “The Beggar of Beauty” molded in ore. The Memorial of World War II. is located in front of the highschool. The soldier leaning on a Cross rises in honor of the soldiers and citizens of Makó who lost their lives during the war, with their names displayed on an arched wall. The Monument of 1956 was established behind this memorial. The Csanád vezér square consists of two, one-way two-lane roads and a park between them. Saint Gellért’s legend says that God have commanded to Saint Stephen (Szent István), the brave army leader, that the area must be called Csanád for all eternity. Inside the green area stands the state founder King St. Stephen’s monumental equestrian statue which is the creation of Jenő Ferenc Kiss and Lajos Győrfi. The square with its bountiful trees provides a nesting and breeding ground of Long-eared owls.

Arad-Csanádi Takarékpénztár, „Hotel Korona”, Portékatár


A séta végéhez közeledve folytassuk utunkat vissza a Bérpalota felé, ahol jobb oldalon, a színes fényekkel megvilágított szökőkút hátterében áll a közel 100 éves épület, amely egykor Arad–Csanádi Takarékpénztárként, később Kállai Éva Kollégium néven működött. Manapság a Grand Hotel Glorius design szállodának és étteremnek ad helyet, amely az 1920-as évek nagyvilági hangulatát idézi. Válasszuk szemben a gyalogos átkelőhelyet. Közvetlenül előttünk található az egykori Korona Szálló (Széchenyi tér 10.), Makó legszebb eklektikus épülete, amely vendégfogadónak épült 1855-ben Koczka Ferdinánd tervei alapján. A Korona kétszáz éven át együtt alakult, épült a várossal, majd 1905-ben szállodával bővítették. A Korona díszterme nemcsak vigalmaknak adott helyet, gyakran tartottak itt irodalmi rendezvényeket is. Napjainkban a Korona földszintjén találhatjuk a Makói Portékatárat, ahol a makói és környékbeli kézművesek árulják különféle termékeiket. Ilyenek például a Kontyos gyümölcsbor, a „Maroslele aranya” tökmagolaj, az apátfalvi és kövegyi kézművesek árucikkei, a Makoládé, illetve sok egyéb minőségi termék.

Arad-Csanád Savings Bank, „Hotel Korona”, Gift Shop

Nearing the end of our journey walk back towards the „Bérpalota”. On the right hand side behind the illuminated fountain you can notice a nearly 100-year-old building. It was once the Arad–Csanád Savings Bank and later operated as Éva Kállai dormitory. Currently it houses the design hotel called Grand Hotel Glorius and its restaurant, both evokes the atmosphere of the 1920s. Nowadays, here can also be found the late ”Hotel Korona” (The Crown) (Széchenyi square no. 10), the most attractive eclectic building of Makó. This building was constructed in 1855 as an inn according to the plans of Ferdinánd Koczka. It has gone through many stages of development along the 200 years of its existence. In 1905 the inn was rebuilt and it was improved with a hotel. Currently the Gift Shop of Makó can be found on the ground floor of the Korona. Here various artisans selling their products from the town and its surroundings. These include the „Kontyos” fruit wine, the „Maroslele aranya” pumpkin seed oil, the goods from Apátfalva and Kövegy, the „Makoládé” and many other quality products.

Fátyol Mihály szobor, Hagymavirág szökőkút


A Korona előtti téren áll az első világháborús emlékmű, mely Pásztor János hódmezővásárhelyi szobrász alkotása. Az első világháborúban elesett makói hősök emlékére állították, 1929. szeptember 29-én. Fenn ősmagyar vitéz támogatja a sebesült katonát. A tér felé haladva az épület túlsó sarkán áll Fátyol Mihály cigányprímás szobra, aki 1945–1979-ig muzsikált zenekarával a Koronában. A muzsikus szobrát Kiss Jenő Ferenc készítette, hivatalos felavatása 2009. augusztus 19-én volt. A szobor mellett elhaladva az egykori Korona Szálló előtt kialakított hangulatos közösségi teret a helyiek előszeretettel használják kikapcsolódásra és pihenésre, a város pedig minden évben változatos rendezvényeket szervezi a Makovecz Imre által megálmodott területen. Gyalogos városnéző sétánk szemközt, a hajdani szálló dél-keleti részén, a Hagymavirág Szökőkútnál ér véget.

Mihály Fátyol’s Statue, Onion Flower Fountain

On the square in front of the restaurant stands the Heroes’ Memorial, which was erected in the memory of the heroes of Makó who died in World War I. The memorial, which represents a brave man supporting a wounded soldier, is the creation of sculptor János Pásztor, a citizen of Hódmezővásárhely, and it was inaugurated on 29th September 1929. From there, on the corner of the restaurant rises Mihály Fátyol’s Statue, the gipsy primate-violonist of the restaurant band. He played together with his band from 1945 to1979. The musician’s statue was made by Jenő Ferenc Kiss and was inaugurated on 19th August 2009. Walking past the statue we can notice a cozy community space created in front of the former Korona. It is often used by locals to relax and rest, furthermore each year numerous events are also organized on this square envisioned by Imre Makovecz. Our sightseeing walk ends near the south-eastern part of the late hotel at the onion flower fountain.

Séta a katolikus városrészben


A főtérről gépjárművel célszerű továbbindulni a katolikusok lakta városrészbe, ahová a Szegedi utcán keresztül jutunk el. Ha bekanyarodunk az Árpád utcára, már az egykori katolikus városrészben vagyunk, amelyet Bujáknak neveztek. A Szent István téren áll államalapító királyunkról elnevezett plébánia templom (megtekinthető: +36 20/464-26-37). A barokk stílusban épült templomot 1772-ben szentelték fel. A főoltárképet (amelyen Szent István a koronát ajánlja fel Máriának) Rafael modorban Emler Beneventura bécsi művészfestette 1854-ben. A templomudvarban helyezték el Makó legrégebbi – a helyiek által „kőképnek” nevezett – műemlék jellegű Szűz Mária szobrot. A teret északról az egykori katolikus polgári fiúiskola, a mai Szent István Egyházi Gimnázium és Általános Iskola zárja le. A neobarokk stílusú épület 1927–33 között készült el. Az Apaffy utcán keresztül juthatunk el a katolikus temetőhöz (Kálvária utca). A kapun belépve az úttal párhuzamosan áll az 1829-ben, klasszicista stílusban épült, Szent Anna tiszteletére felszentelt, műemléki jellegűnek minősített kápolna (a temetőgondnok segítségével belülről is megtekinthető). A temetőből kiérve balra haladhatunk tovább a Kálvária utcán, ahol megtekinthetjük Makó ősi szakrális helyét, a Kálvária dombot. Ide jártak a török hódoltság idején a szegedi ferences barátok a katolikus hívek lelki gondozására (érdeklődni a +36 62/212-279-as számon lehet). Továbbá itt található a város legrégebbi épülete, az 1734-ben barokk stílusban emelt műemlék jellegű Kálvária kápolna.

Walk in the Catholic district

From the main square it is advised to continue by car to the Catholic district. We can get here through the Szeged street. When we turn into the Árpád street, we are already at the former Catholic town district, called Buják. Saint Stephen King’s square (Szent István tér) with the Catholic Church that has the same name (phone +36 20/464-26-37). The church was constructed in baroque style and it was sanctified in 1772. The main picture above the altar, dating back to 1854, represents Saint Stephen King offering the crown to Virgin Mary and it’s the masterpiece of Emler Beneventura (Australian painter). The oldest statue of Makó, representing Virgin Mary, stands in the churchyard. In the north, the square ends with the old Catholic Boys School, constructed in neo-baroque style. This school exists even today and it’s called Szent István (Saint Stephen) Catholic School and Highschool. Apaffy street takes you to Kálvária street where you find the Catholic cemetery. The monumental chapel from the cemetery was built in classical style in honor of Szent Anna (Saint Ann). If you turn left after going out, you reach the ancient holy place of the town called “Kálvária Domb” (Kalvaria Hill). Kalvaria Chapel (phone: +36 62/212-279) is also situated on this hill. It was constructed in baroque style and it’s an ancient sacred place where Catholic people used to come and pray during Turkish invasions.

Séta a Maros-parton


A városközponttól 2,5 km-re a Liget utcán keresztül közelíthetjük meg gépjárművel vagy kerékpárral a Maros partját, amely már évtizedek óta a makóiak és a környékbeli lakosok kikapcsolódásának egyik legkedveltebb célpontja. A Lombkorona Sétány a folyó jobb partján található látványosság, amely Európában egyedülálló létesítményeként mutatja be az ártéri környezetet és élővilágot. A sétány mintegy 200 méter hosszú és 8–10 méter magasban fut végig a lombkorona szinten. Hozzátartozik egy 25 méter magas kilátótorony, ahonnan egy 45 méter hosszú csúszda vezet le a talajszintig. Makó város önkormányzata a 2012-ben elkészült új gyógyfürdőhöz és a megnövekedett idegenforgalmi érdeklődéshez kapcsolódóan kezdett bele a Maros-part fejlesztésébe. Továbbhaladva a strandhoz vezető úton, körülbelül 300 méter séta után érkezünk meg a Maros Kalandpartra. A festői Maros folyó mellett található a 4 méteres magasságban kiépített, 29 feladatból álló kötélpálya, amely valódi kihívást kínál mindazoknak, akik próbára akarják tenni ügyességüket, kitartásukat és bátorságukat. A kalandparkban található gyermek és felnőtt pálya, canopy, inga, mászófa és mászófal, tandem, alpesi csúszópálya, magaslati fészek, valamint trambulin is. A Kalandpart további szolgáltatásokkal is rendelkezik: kajak-kenubérlés, kikötési lehetőség, büfé, főzési lehetőség. A 60 fő befogadására alkalmas Zöld Ház Környezetvédelmi és Oktatási Központ ugyancsak a Maros-parton kapott helyet. A diákok, túrázók és természetjárók a ház mellől induló tanösvényeket követve ismerhetik meg a folyó világának látványos és rejtett értekeit.

Walk in the Maros Bank

We can reach the Maros Bank from the town center after approximately 2.5 km by car or by bicycle through Liget street. For decades this area has been one of the most popular recreation destination for the local residents. The Canopy walkway can be found in the right side of the river, which is unique in Europe by presenting the floodplain environment and wildlife. The „Tree Crown” is about 200 metres long and 8 to 10 metres high. It also includes a 25 metres high Look Out Tower, where a 45 metres long slide leads down to ground level. After the completion of the new thermal spa in 2012 and thanks to the continued increase in tourism, the Town Hall of Makó started to invest into the development of the Maros Bank. Further along the road leading to the beach after about 300 metres we arrive at the Maros Adventure Park. Surrounded by the scenic river Maros you can experience the 4 metres high cableway consisting of 29 tasks, which offers a real challenge for those who want to test their skills, endurance and courage. There are child and adult courses, a canopy, a giant pendulum-swing, tree and wall climbing, a tandem, an alpine slide course, a high-altitude nest, as well as trampolines. The Adventure Park also provides additional services: kayak and canoe rental, mooring areas, a cafeteria, cooking facilities. The Green House Environmental Education Center is also located in the bank of Maros. The students, hikers and nature lovers can use various trails to get to know the river and its spectactular and hidden treasures.